Employment regulations

On August 5, 2020 the amendments to the law entered into force, according to which international full-time BSc, MSC and PhD students do not need to obtain a work permit in Russia (http://duma.gov.ru/news/49275/ (in Russian)).

However, there are several restrictions on specific positions:

  1. Foreigners are not allowed to hold the position of chief accountant or any other position related to the accounting of a Russian company. Only foreigners who have a residence permit or temporary residence permit can keep the company’s accounting records.
  2. Foreigners cannot be employed in the municipal or civil service or work related to the security of Russia.

What documents are usually required when applying for a job?

  • certificate from the university that you are a full-time BSc, MSC or PhD student;
  • passport or other identity document and its copy with notarized translation;
  • employment record (if this is your first place of work, the employer will make it);
  • Tax Identification Number (INN), registration and migration card;
  • policy of voluntary medical insurance valid on the territory of the Russian Federation;
  • other documents at the employer’s request (e.g. educational documents or «no criminal record» certificate)

Other details:

  • A 30% personal income tax will be deducted from your salary until you stay in Russia for a total of 183 days within the last 12 months. After your stay in Russia exceeds 183 days, the tax rate will be decreased to 13%.
  • No work permit or other documents are required if you are doing unpaid internship. If your internship is unpaid and does not require employment agreement - you do not have to get a work permit (Letter of Ministry of Internal Affairs (in Russian)).